Jan 20A Breakout Year
2021 was truly a breakout year on all fronts for Mercy Community Capital (MCC). With the continued economic uncertainty from COVID-19, MCC was able to attain excellent business and financial results that showcase our sustainability; however, we are more excited about how these results translated into real impact.
We believe we are called to contribute more than we consume — both as an organization and as individuals. MCC intentionally incurred additional “responsible risk” that contributed greatly to those most in need in 2021. Our financing activities created and/or preserved 3,781 units of affordable housing and served 9,000 residents (more than half are from traditionally underserved populations). Nearly 80% of our capital went to those at or below 60% of Area Median Income, and overall, we saved households nearly $20 million through housing with below-market rental rates.
Take a look at these additional 2021 highlights:
- We set the overall record in our history for deals closed and nearly doubled our volume goal for the year! We closed 36 transactions that translated into $1 billion in total development costs. This was a herculean lift for our underwriting staff.
- We raised a record-setting amount of equity this year, which substantially enhanced our balance sheet. Additionally, we ended the year with a stellar 98% renewal rate for existing investors.
- Our portfolio remains strong and healthy with an inconsequential watch list and nearly 0% delinquency/nonaccrual ratios.
- After three credit rating increases in the last several years, we maintained an ‘AA+’ rating based on the traditional Wall Street scale, and that keeps us in the top 17% of rated CDFIs nationally.
Thank you to our talented staff, thoughtful board, and dedicated committees for achieving these outstanding impact and business results. We look forward to building on these results in 2022 with exciting initiatives related to environmental stewardship, a guarantee fund for nascent real estate developers, a complete revamp of our software programs for enhanced efficiencies, and more.
We are all connected, and when we lift up those who are struggling, the collective fabric of our society improves.
As spiritual teacher Ram Dass once said, “There are billions of tiny acts that create suffering in the world — acts of ignorance, greed, and violence. But in the same way, each act of caring — all the billion tiny ways that we offer compassion, wisdom, and joy to one another — serves as a preservative and healing agent.” Here’s to more compassion, wisdom, and joy in 2022 and beyond!
With gratitude for your continued partnership and support,
Mercy Community Capital
MCC Board Chair
Deputy Executive Director, CHFA
You may also like:
- Mercy Community Capital Provides Land Financing to Wishcamper Development Partners for the Development of Over 600 Affordable Rental Homes Across Oregon Three loans, totaling $9,232,000, will provide land to develop homes with services for communities living...
- Help Us Build The Hub Mercy Housing California’s Build the Hub Capital Campaign provides individuals, foundations, nonprofit partners, and businesses...
- Building Homes and Building Leaders: Meet Mercy Housing California’s Real Estate Development Interns Each year, Mercy Housing California (MHC) is proud to partner with tomorrow’s affordable housing leaders...
Stay Up To Date
Get news on Mercy Housing and inspiring stories of change delivered to your inbox.