Feb 27Mercy Housing Southeast Students Excel During Time of National Learning Loss
Students across the country saw a decline in math and reading scores due to the devastating impact of COVID. In fact, the pandemic affected nearly every aspect of children’s lives, including their education, social interactions, and their mental and physical health.
Students who call Mercy Housing Southeast home had the same experience. However, thanks to our Out-of-School Time (OST) programming, which includes tutoring, homework support, educational outings, and enrichment opportunities to achieve academically and help to secure their future – there was a BIG difference – youth residents thrived.
Just the Stats:
Despite having to transition to virtual learning, lack of internet access in their homes, illness, and parents who have lost their jobs, Mercy Housing Southeast students achieved:
- Following the 2021-2022 school year, all 54 students participating in Out-of-School-Time programming were promoted to the next grade level.
- Of the 30 students who voluntarily shared their grades, 100% improved their grades from the first to the final report card for the year.
- Four high school students graduated in 2022 and began their college education last fall.
Adapting to a Virtual World
For many Mercy Housing Southeast families and students, making the switch from in-person learning to attending school virtually didn’t come without challenges. When students’ homes lacked the technology needed to participate in virtual learning, we focused on closing the digital divide and ensuring that students had high-speed internet access.
We are proud of these students and the dedicated staff who saw them through these unprecedented times!
You may also like:
- Students Usher in the School Year with New Backpacks and School Supplies Dr. Seuss once said, “The more that you read, the more things you will know....
- How Kids Kept Busy During Summer Vacation – One Hint: Adventures Kids need support to succeed in school and in life, which is why Mercy Housing...
- How Partnerships Bring Change Mercy Housing Mountain Plains (MHMP) and Swinerton, a national construction company, recently teamed up for...
- Meet Kaelynne – A Girl on the Run With a bit of encouragement from Ms. Natalie, Resident Services Coordinator at Lincoln Way, Kaelynne...
Stay Up To Date
Get news on Mercy Housing and inspiring stories of change delivered to your inbox.